Monday, January 24, 2011

Rivals – Bette Davis and Joan Crawford

In Robert Aldrich’s psychological thriller "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?" from 1962, actresses Bette Davis (1908-1989) and Joan Crawford (1905-1977) played roles of sisters which deeply hate each other. Both actresses played perfectly their movie roles. That was, perhaps, because they also fiercely hated each other and in private life...

While speaking of her colleague Joan, Bette Davis once said:

- I do not want to waste words about her morality! She has slept with every male star at MGM except Lassie.

After that, Ms. Crawford said:

- I don’t hate Bette Davis even though the press wants me to.  I resent her.  I don’t see how she built a career out of a set of mannerisms, instead of real acting ability.  Take away the pop eyes, the cigarette, and those funny clipped words and want have you got?  She’s phony, but I guess the public really likes that.

Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "Rivals – Bette Davis and Joan Crawford"

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails