Monday, December 13, 2010

I became the spendthrift of my own genius – Oscar Wilde

In 1882, when he traveled to the United States due to a lecture that he was supposed to hold, U.S. customs officials stopped writer Oscar Wilde (1854-1900).

- Sir, you have something to report? – he was asked.

- I have nothingWilde said - except my genius!

Years later, poor and abandoned, finding himself in prison, Oscar Wilde was thinking about his dissolute life and behavior.

I became the spendthrift of my own genius”, he wrote. “I forgot that every little action of the common day makes or unmakes character...

Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "I became the spendthrift of my own genius – Oscar Wilde"

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails