Saturday, May 07, 2011

Perfect mask – Winston Churchill and Nancy Astor

Humorous bickering between the British Prime Minister Winston Churchill (1874 -1965) and Lady Nancy Astor (1879-1964) were very common in public. Lady Nancy Astor was known as a fighter for women's rights but she was also engaged in politics.

On one occasion, unable to resist not to tease her in front of many people, Winston Churchill asked Lady Astor:

So, you are once again organizing some stupid masquerade ball. What disguise should I wear so that nobody recognizes me?

"Why don't you come sober, Prime Minister?" – Lady Astor replied sarcastically.

On other occasion, Lady Astor said to Churchill, "If you were my husband, I'd poison your tea," to which he responded, "Madam, if you were my wife, I'd drink it!"

Probably the most known exchange of such words between them was when Lady Astor said to him "Winston, you are drunk", to which he replied "And you, madam, are ugly. But I shall be sober in the morning".



Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

1 comments: on "Perfect mask – Winston Churchill and Nancy Astor"

Machinima said...

I like the third quotation the best. Watch this short video animation of this Lady Astor remark and Churchill rebuttal with funny sound effects here :)

Winston Churchill drunk ugly quote video

Winston Churchill drunk ugly quote dancing

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails